Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Discussion With Australian Aboriginal Documentary Photographer Ricky Maynard.

After being invited, last Saturday I attended a panel discussion with Ricky Maynard at MCA (Museum Contemporary of Art) in Sydney. Ricky Maynard is one of the best Australian Aboriginal documentary photographer. Born in Launceston in 1953, Maynard is self-taught in documentary photography and based on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait between Tasmania and mainland Australia. His ongoing documentary of the physical and social landscape of his people forms a culturally significant visual record and representation of Aboriginal people in Australia.

Ricky Maynard

Arthol Burgess, Babel Island from the series The Moonbird People 1985–88 by Ricky Maynard

Untitled, 'As my body recovers from addictions so does my spirit' by Ricky Maynard


As I expected, the discussion was very inspired. He discussed many important aspects in documentary photography as well as provides guidance for emerging documentary photographer who wants take a further step, by discussing his own career.

some note-taking that I transcribed:





Right before the end of the panel discussion he encouraged us to shows and presents our project or current project that we still working on, and the good thing is he did a photo critiques. For me, I showed him my ongoing (just affirm unfinished) 'Bantar Gebang' project. He likes my photographs a lot, though he still did a bit photo critique.

Ricky Maynard with my photograph

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
At first, my hands always thought that I'm an artist and my heart knew as well that I'm a poet but later I've found I'm totally wrong. Then now I'm just realized, I'm nothing without camera.
Creative Commons License
All images on this blog are copyrighted by Febriyanne Kusuma.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.